Monday 15 January 2018

#37 in my backyard!

It's always nice to find a new insect. But it's very, very nice to find a new one in your own backyard! This afternoon while the kids were playing on their swing set, I decided to have a look at the carrots that are flowering in our very small veggie patch (they've been left to go to seed). Previously there's only been flies and ants on the flowers, but today... jackpot! I found at least five spotted amber ladybirds, although getting a photo proved to be quite difficult.The flowers are on incredibly thin stalks, and even the slightest breeze moves them around a lot. After persisting for a lot longer than it should have taken, I managed a few reasonable photos.

#37 Spotted Amber Ladybird (Hippodamia variegata)


No comments:

Post a Comment

#199 to #203 at Balbirooro, Victoria, Australia, December 26 2018

Yesterday I went to twitch an Eastern Yellow Wagtail,a very rare bird for our part of the world. While I was there, I found some very nice i...